Not sure what bring with you to work for lunch? Need a healthy snack to keep you going between University classes? This sweet potato, mushroom and spinach frittata is low in calories and delicious, with the added benefit of being eaten warm or cold. Store in an air-tight container, in the fridge and you’ll have a ready to go snack for 2 – 3 days.
Makes: 6 wedges Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes Calories: 100kcals per wedge
Steps: 4 and 5
- 200g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- Spray oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 200g baby spinach leaves
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the sweet potato in a saucepan of boiling water for about 5 minutes until slightly tender (al dente). Drain well.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a non-stick frying pan with oil and set over a low to medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 6–8 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Add the drained sweet potato and mushrooms and cook for 4–5 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and tender. Stir in the spinach and cook for 1–2 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper. Pour into the frying pan and reduce the heat. Cook gently until the frittata is set and golden brown underneath – this will take about 5–8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top and pop the pan under a preheated hot grill for 5 minutes or so until the top is lightly browned and set.
- Slide out of the pan onto a board and set aside to cool a little. When it’s lukewarm or cold, you can cut it into six wedges.
Step it up…
To eat this frittata for dinner on Step 2, just make as above, substituting 150g peeled, deseeded and cubed pumpkin for the sweet potato. Omit the Parmesan cheese and cut the finished frittata in half to serve. Each portion will have 200kcals. Eat it hot, lukewarm or cold.
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.
If you found this article useful please share.